Friday, 10 July 2015

The three day quote challenge.

Thanking Judith Barrow who nominated me for this. Judith’s brilliant trilogy is about to be completed with the publication of “Living In The Shadows.”
And read her brilliant books "Pattern of Shadows" http://amzn.to/1L3bQRG
      And “Changing Patterns” http://amzn.to/1J94S9A

The rules of the deal: you share your favourite three quotes that inspire you or will inspire others (even if written by yourself).
You post them, possibly over three days, but Judith did it in one, so I’m doing the same.
You thank the person who tagged you.
You tagged someone else, to carry it on, bearing in mind that they may never speak to you again.


So I’ve been challenged to come up with three meaningful quotes. These aren’t exactly earth-shattering, but they get used an awful lot by me. And I’m not just going to give the quotes, I’m going to include their context, because this is a blog.

1) The first, in praise of artistic liberty and in opposition to international capitalism, is the last line of a poem that has been recited to me since I was ankle-high to a grasshopper. But since the last line probably doesn’t make much sense on its own, here’s the whole last verse of the poem by E B White. The context: Nelson Rockefeller commissioned communist artist Diego Rivera to paint a mural on the wall of the newly built Rockefeller centre. When Rivera included the head of Lenin, Rockefeller objected and destroyed the mural – which was later repainted elsewhere.

'It's not good taste in a man like me,'
Said John D.'s grandson Neslon,
'To question an artist's integrity
'Or mention a practical thing like a fee,
'But I know what I like to a large degree,
'Though art I hate to hamper;
'For twenty-one thousand conservative bucks
'You painted a radical. I say shucks,
'I never could rent the offices—
'The capitalistic offices.
'For this, as you know, is a public hall
'And people want doves, or a tree in hall
'And though your art I dislike to hamper,
'I owe a little to God and Gramper,
'And after all,
'It's my wall . . .'
'We'll see if it is,' said Rivera.

‘We’ll see if it is,’ said Rivera is an immensely useful quotation to use in all sorts of situations in which someone is getting overly possessive about something. I recommend it.



2)  For my second quote, I could just put the entire script of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but I’m choosing this.
 'What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.'
'People kept robbing it.'
'Small price to pay for beauty.'”

This is another quote that can be used in many situations. Particularly in regard to the Severn Bridges. Yes, I know the old one kept falling down but…





3) The third quote I include as a dire warning about quotes. The first line of Jane Eyre.

“There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.”

Every day I take a walk after dinner, light or dark, hot or cold, dry or moist, but sometimes it’s a bit too moist even for me, so I say (just to annoy everyone), ‘It was too wet for a walk that day.’
Now I find I’ve been getting it wrong for years. Damn.

Now, on the off chance that they won't kill me,  I challenge fellow Honno writers, Alison Layland (http://www.alayland.uk/), author of the chilling Someone Else’s Conflict (http://amzn.to/1KV7E8f) and Juliet Greenwood (http://www.julietgreenwood.co.uk/), author of great novels Eden’s Garden (http://amzn.to/1MkU37p) and We That Are Left (http://amzn.to/1HSX2Ej).

But only if they are willing to take up the baton,


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant!! A word I use a lot ... too much ... all the time. But it's meant in the best possible way!! Brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete